Instructions – PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY
- The Assignment must be submitted on Blackboard (WORD format only) via allocated folder.
- Assignments submitted through email will not be accepted.
- Students are advised to make their work clear and well presented, marks may be reduced for poor presentation. This includes filling your information on the cover page.
- Students must mention question number clearly in their answer.
- Late submission will NOT be accepted.
- Avoid plagiarism, the work should be in your own words, copying from students or other resources without proper referencing will result in ZERO No exceptions.
- All answers must be typed using Times New Roman (size 12, double-spaced) No pictures containing text will be accepted and will be considered plagiarism.
- Submissions without this cover page will NOT be accepted.
Assignment Question(s): (Marks 30)
Q1. How are the direct write-off method and the allowance method applied in accounting for uncollectible accounts receivables? Explain with examples (4 Marks)
Q2. Explain what is meant by depreciation
Describe the methods of depreciation and give a numerical example for each method (7 Marks)
Q3 The following information is related to PQR company and XYZ company for the year 2013:
|PQR Company||XYZ Company|
|Cash dividend declared and paid during the year||750,000||124,800|
|Number of shares of common stock outstanding||50,000||24,000|
|Par value of a share||50||50|
|Market value of a share||60||52|
Both the companies belong to same industry. PQR is an old and well-established company where as XYZ is a new company. The historical data shows that the PQR has a stable annual dividend distribution to stockholders.
Calculate dividend yield ratio of both the companies. Which company would you recommend for investment in shares? Explain with reasons. (5 Marks)
Q4. A company’s income statement for 2021 showed the following:
Net income, SR150, 000;
depreciation expense, SR20,000
- Changes in current assets and current liabilities:
Accounts receivable decreased SR20, 000
merchandise inventory increased 8,000
accounts payable increased 3,000.
Required: Prepare the operating activity section of the statement of cash flow using the indirect method. (5 Marks)
Q5. Why does the management of any companies analyze financial statements? Explain by using the different tools in analyzing financial statement with proper numerical example? (5 Marks)
Q6. a) Explain the methods that can estimate bad debt expenses in business. (Give numerical examples) (1 Mark)
b.) Differentiate between Accounts receivable and Notes receivable. (1 Mark)
- c) On 1st of October 2019, XYZ Inc. has sold an equipment for SAR 25,000 to ABC Ltd.by issuing an 8% note receivable for 90 days. Calculate the interest on the note and on what would be the maturity date. Pass Journal entry in the books of the company to record these transactions. (2 Marks)