Identify that industry and discuss which regulatory agency you think would garner the most attention,
Learning Goal: I’m working on a writing question and need support to help me learn.
For this activity, choose the industry in which you work, desire to work, or have knowledge of. Identify that industry and discuss which regulatory agency you think would garner the most attention, and why, when it comes to safety, health, and environmental regulatory compliance. Along with this, what compliance efforts do you foresee as being the focus of an organization’s efforts in this industry and why?
Next, offer up a second regulatory agency that might require attention and compliance. For your second agency, try to pick one that hasn’t already been discussed, and explain why and how this agency might impact your chosen industry.
Legal Liabilities in Safety and Loss Prevention (Schneid, 2019)
Chapter 1 – Overview and History
This chapter is an overview and history of safety-related legislation and the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970. This chapter includes the coverage and jurisdiction, state plan states, OSHA standards, and the general duty clause.
Environmental Law Handbook, 21st Edition.
Chapter 1, written by Daniel Steinway, defines environmental laws and addresses the following: laws that establish compliance obligations; common law environmental requirements; laws that enforce permits; prohibitions and penalties; laws that define the environmental law framework; joint and several liability, indemnity, and contribution; environmental compliance principles; and, the importance of knowledge of environmental law.
- OSHA Standards Development (Links to an external site.)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration: PART 1911 Rules of Procedure for Promulgating, Modifying, or Revoking OSHA Standards (Links to an external site.)
- The 7 Stages of All New OSHA Rules (Lion) (Links to an external site.)
- Environmental Protection Agency: The Basics of the Regulatory Process (Links to an external site.)
- U.S. Department of Labor: Summary of the Major Laws of the Department of Labor (Links to an external site.)
- U. S. Department of Transportation: Safety and Health (Links to an external site.)
- Employment Law Handbook: Federal Employment and Labor Laws (Links to an external site.)
- FindLaw: Overview: Key Federal Environmental Laws (Links to an external site.) (An overview of some of the major environmental laws are discussed here)
- National Safety Council: “Road to Rulemaking: The steps OSHA takes to issue a new standard” Safety+ Health, May 2013 (Links to an external site.)