Module 10: mental health services
Write an in-depth response to each of the questions numbered below. Number your response with the question. Each response needs to be at least four sentences in length. Refer to “Writing Rubric” (in the Getting Started Module and the syllabus) for content and grammar guidelines. Upload your file into the dropbox folder.
After reading Chapter 10, “Mental Health Services”, reviewing the Web sites on the Readings and Resources pages, and watching the videos, write an in-depth response to each question that follows.
- Go to the Resource tab under Activities. Click on the link provided for the “National Institute for Mental Health”. Choose 2 mental disorders that are listed and research the information given on each; Describe the disorder and significant information on it. Explain how social workers can intervene to assist with each of these.
- Watch the video entitled “Categories of Mental Disorders” and the video “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual” . Read the link under Readings on the “History of the DSM”. Tell the history of the DSM; why was it created? Outline the main categories of mental disorders it includes.
- Go to the Readings section. Click on the link for “In-Depth:Cognitive Behavioral Therapy”. Describe this therapy, explain the model it utilizes, identify what clients it is best used for. Do you feel this approach would be effective? Why or why not?
- Identify the many settings social workers can work with mental health. Describe what the social worker’s roles are for mental health work. What would be some specific challenges with mental health clients?
- From the textbook reading; Identify 2 specific ethics and values most involved with mental health social work. Give an example of each and how it is a challenge for social workers.
- Watch the video entitled “Psychiatric Social Work”: Share two specific things you learned from the information in the video and why. Do you feel you could work in the field of mental health? Why or why not?
- Watch the video entitled “Living With A Mental Disorder” and the video titled “Mental Health Recovery Stories”. Highlight some key things shared by those who struggle with mental disorders. What did you learn from hearing their first hand testimonies and how will this help you in working with those with mental health issues?
- Go to Readings and click on the link for “Learn About Mental Health”. Read through the page and click on the links about the causes. Identify at least two facts noted and how this information helps social workers.
- Go to Readings and click on the link for “Children MH Facts” and “General MH Facts”. Identify three facts from each web page. What is the number one mental health disorder in the US? What social factors do you see contributing to overall mental health for adults and kids in the US?