You and a friend, whose is an experienced nurse and holds an advanced nursing degree, would very much like to start a home healthcare business. You have the management background and knowledge and she possess the technical knowledge to provide patient health care in the patient’s home.
You must decide how your company will be structured and how your management process will be organized. So, to do that you must decide the functions of the people who will be working for you. What kinds of supervisory roles each person has (if any) and to whom they will report etc. It is up to you to decide what skills sets and staffing that you will need. Consider all to the activities that will be needed to accomplish your mission, goals, and objectives. You will need to consider multiple factors such as the geographic area that you will serve, what level of services will you provide, what is the populations that you will serve etc. Consider any factor that will impact on the number and type of staff. This is your creative work! Remember the organizational chart must match the function of the organization.
- Create the organizational chart for your company.
- This can be done in Word or in Powerpoint.
- In word, open a new document, click insert, smartArt, and Hierarchy.
- In Powerpoint, open new document, click or search for smartArt, and then click on Hierarchy.
- You can choose any one of the various types of organizational charts that is most appropriate for your organization.
- Remember to follow the theories of good management (e.g. division of work, span of control, unity of command) when you are developing your organization chart.
You will be getting the start-up loan from the bank. The bank wants a detailed explanation and justification for your organizational chart. In the document, provide the following:
- Your organizational chart
- A detailed rationale, in PARAGRAPH FORMAT, for EVERY position on your organizational chart. In other words, why do you need those positions? For example, if you put a respiratory therapist in your organization chart, what services are you going to provide that would require this position or why do you need that specific person and those qualifications in that position.
- A detailed rationale, PARAGRAPH FORMAT, for the location of EVERY position within the organizational chart. In other words, why would each position report to whomever they report and why would they have someone reporting to them or why do you have supervisory chain of command arranged in the way that you have chosen in your organizational chart.
You must not just describe the number and functions of your staff but justify why they are needed in your organization. Remember that you are just starting the business so you may not need many different positions. It is up to you to decide AND PROVIDE JUSTIFICATION for each of the positions.