The cost of inadequate controls
Because you performed so well in the scenario for Assignment 1, upper management at LOTR Experience has consulted with you again as their IT Security Specialist. This time, they are concerned about a pressing new issue. They inform you about the high costs associated with creating a secure network environment. Unfortunately, they also explain that the IT budget is being cut by 30%. A recent request for permission to hire an additional IT member was denied. The proposed additional employee would have been dedicated to the database security controls. Finally, based on the budget constraints, a request for a new NAC Router was also denied.
Your task for Assignment 2 is to write an effective counter argument to convince upper management that inadequate controls would cost the company more if security vulnerabilities are exploited.
Write a counter-argument in which you address the following:
- Analyze the annual loss of revenue by the professional sector as it relates to access control. (Summarize and provide this information in a graph)
- After reviewing the LOTR Network Design artifacts, outline three critical areas of concern related to access control.
- Outline the potential risks, vulnerabilities, and threats that could be incurred through the lack of a dedicated database security specialist.
- Outline the potential risks, vulnerabilities, and threats that could be incurred through the lack of a NAC router.
- Using the Internet, find three qualified vendors that support the need for an NAC router. Provide the companies and the industry knowledge that will support your argument.
- Use at least three quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date.