Unit 1 – discussion board 2 | BADM3440 | Colorado Technical University
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 200–300 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
In this class, you will develop a research proposal based on a business, organizational problem, or topic that you want to explore. If you need help in finding a problem to explore, check the Successful Business Research textbook, chapter 6, for more on asking the right questions. Also, the following Web sites can assist in finding an organizational issue:
Part 1: Types of Research
Discuss the following:
- Explain the differences between academic and business research approaches.
- Explain which research approach you as a researcher would choose (quantitative, qualitative, or business) for your particular research question/problem.
Part 2: Selecting a Research Topic
- Using the worksheets in chapter 6 (pp. 37–41) and the Web sites, examine how you would determine what area you will focus on for your research project and what questions you might be asking.
- Select your research topic.
- Utilizing the CTU Library, locate 1 peer-reviewed journal article that reports the findings of a qualitative study on or related to your research topic and 1 that reports the findings of a quantitative study on or related to your topic (you will need to cite both in your response). These articles will start to build your literature review and the rationale for your research project. For example, if you want to investigate starting an online business to sell your homemade product, you may have to use the bigger topic of selling online or starting a business for your quantitative and qualitative articles.
- Provide citations and references for your articles in accordance with APA guidelines, as needed and appropriate.
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply about their Primary Task Response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
- What did you learn from your classmate’s posting?
- What additional questions do you have after reading the posting?
- What clarification do you need regarding the posting?
- What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?
BusinessKnowledgeSource.com. (2010). Total quality management information. Retrieved from http://businessknowledgesource.com/manufacturing/cat_total_quality_management.html
Business Performance Improvement Resource. (2018). History of quality. Retrieved from http://www.bpir.com/total-quality-management-history-of-tqm-and-business-excellence-bpir.com.html
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.