Speech essay | Sociology homework help
KINESICS: the study of body motion or body behavior.
- Emblems: gestures that have a direct verbal translation and can stand alone such as the “ok” sign.
- Illustrators: gestures that complement our words such as pointing when giving directions.
- Regulators: gestures that may prolong or terminate the conversation such as looking at your watch, walking away or nodding and leaning forward.
- Adaptors: gestures that make you feel more comfortable in a communication situation such as twirling your hair or tapping your fingers.
- Affect Displays: facial expressions motivated by emotion such as a smile or frown.
- In this lesson, you will venture out and observe the people around you. Tune out what they are saying and then sit back and watch. Take notes on what type of gestures (emblems, regulators, illustrators, adaptors and affect displays) are they using? How often do they use each one? Are they aware of these gestures? You will then use your notes to write a typed two-page essay describing what you witnessed. FOR THIS ESSAY WRITE ABOUT BEING IN A STARBUCKS IN MIAMI FLORIDA
Describe at least ten separate gestures.
- What type?
- What are they conveying? How many repetitions?
- What are the circumstances?
Please submit your essay to this dropbox and include the following:
- At least two pages typed– MINIMUM of 675 words
- Double spaced
- Paragraphs, not bullets
- Include nonverbal terminology
- Specific examples
Reminder: All written work must comply with standard English rules, such as proper capitalization, grammar and spelling.