Assignment: course project part 5: program-related social change | EDSD 7900 – EdS Capstone Project: Creating and Supporting Effective Educational Practices | Walden University
Throughout your academic journey at Walden University, you have been encouraged to make a difference in your field and in the world around you by engaging in positive social change. Consider for a moment the vision and impact of Walden’s Global Days of Service. This movement encourages all members of Walden’s global community to volunteer in their local communities and serve neighbors in need. How will you take the specialization knowledge you have gained throughout your program to serve your community?
For Part 5 of your Course Project, you will develop a proposal for a community service project related to the goals and needs of the program you selected for your Course Project.
Important Note: You will share your ideas for this Assignment in the Module 5 Discussion 2 Forum. Be sure to read through the instructions for this Assignment and Discussion 2 prior to beginning work this week.
- Review the Walden University sites regarding social change and Walden’s Global Days of Service. Consider the many meaningful opportunities found in early childhood programs, K–12 schools, and communities for enacting social change.
- Think about the program you selected for your Course Project and how one or more of the program’s goals lend itself to enacting social change. What might you do to integrate the goals and needs of the program into a community service project for one of Walden’s Global Days of Service?
- Review the Callahan et al. (2012) paper and complete the interactive media activity, Web Map for Analyzing Social Change Position, for your proposed community service project. This activity asks you to consider the extent to which your project incorporates each feature outlined by Callahan et al. What features are more prominent than others on the web for your proposed project? What, if anything, might you do to incorporate more of the features that are less incorporated?
Part 5: Program-Related Social Change Activities
Write a 2- to 3-page proposal for a Walden Global Days of Service project related to the goals and needs of the program you selected for your Course Project. In your proposal, be sure to explain:
- The specific activities you would do to influence social change in your selected program and its community. Be sure to align your activities with Walden’s mission and vision for social change, and explain how they work to support the goals and needs of the program.
- Which of the eight features of social change described by Callahan et al. (2012) are most prominent in your proposed project. Be sure to explain why those features are more prominent than others.
- The steps you would need to take in your educational setting or community to implement your activity.
- How your activities would demonstrate insights with regard to educational, community, and social change you have gained as a result of the Learning Resources and learning experiences in this course.
- How, as a Walden graduate, you will continue to be an agent of social change in the future.
Parts 1–5 of your Course Project as one cohesive APA-formatted paper. Include the PDF of the social change features map you created for Part 5 of your course project with your submission.
For this Assignment, and all scholarly writing in this course and throughout your program, you will be required to use APA style and provide reference citations.
Note: To access this module’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus.
Fullan, M. (2016). The new meaning of educational change (5th ed.). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Chapter 13, “The Future of Educational Change” (pp. 258–265)
Callahan, D., Wilson, E., Birdsall, I., Estabrook-Fishinghawk, B., Carson, G., Ford, S., . . . Yob, I. (2012). Expanding our understanding of social change: A report from the definition task force of the HLC Special Emphasis Project [White paper]. Minneapolis, MN: Walden University.
Social Change Web Maps [Diagrams]. Adapted from Expanding our understanding of social change, by Callahan, D., Wilson, E., Birdsall, I., Estabrook-Fishinghawk, B., Carson, G., Ford, S., Ouzts, K., & Yob, I., 2008. Baltimore, MD: Walden University. Adapted with permission of Walden University.
Cooper, K. S., Stanulis, R. N., Brondyk, S. K. Hamilton, E. R., Macaluso, M., & Meier, J. A. (2016). The teacher leadership process: Attempting change within embedded systems. Journal of Educational Change, 17(1), 85–113. doi:10.1007/s10833-015-9262-4
Walden University. (2016). Global days of service. Retrieved from https://www.waldenu.edu/about/social-change/global-day-of-service
Walden University. (2017b). Who we are. Retrieved from https://www.waldenu.edu/about/who-we-are
Review this site for information on Walden University’s mission and vision and its focus on social change.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2017b). Mapping social change [Interactive media]. Baltimore, MD: Author.